The rapidly changing marketplace force companies to be more flexible. And as the Business & IT function are more and more integrated it means that both functions need to be able to respond to changing business needs. Being agile means being adaptable, managing change, trying to keep pace with technology and consumers’ ever-evolving needs and desires.
General issues that obstruct organizations to implement agility:
- Application strategies are not dynamic enough to handle changes in technology, the complex nature of business demands and the unique needs of specific industries.
- IT organizations find it difficult to use application strategies to help the enterprise reach its goals.
- When systems, applications are poorly managed, they hinder the performance of day-to-day business activities, prevent the solving of business problems, and limit the ability to compete and innovate.
Beside these general issues the following obsticals are often seen:
- Companies with major IT Debt (legacy)
In the past IT debt has mostly been defined as a deferred technical expense. In today’s world it has become a competitive disadvantage, as it is often a blocker to react quickly on the changing business needs.
- Proceduralized companies
Although organizations tend to be very agile at start-up stage (being small and often set up to be highly responsive to changing circumstances), they can quickly become more and more proceduralized, slow to act and therefore become rigid over time.
How to solve:
- No politics, no blaming, this won’t help….just focus on resolving;
- Prioritize with a pace layered system/application strategy, don’t let an ERP or CRM system get in the way of differentiating and innovative applications;
- Execute with a high level strategy, start executing with high level requirements, knowing that feedback on each innovation iteration will further shape the concepts/ideas;
- Identify areas of opportunity, decouple technical solutions, renew value in past technology (IT Debt) with new user interfaces to streamline or automate inefficient business processes;
- Harness the exponential pace of technology, utilize new technologies to make your own technology better, faster, smarter and more adaptive.
- Never build anything twice, sharing and re-using application/solution components in a central store assures that time spent building solutions is time spent creating new business value – not reinventing the wheel.
Contact Koornneef IT Consultancy to find out how we together can structure your organization to improve alignment with the business and/or speed up innovation and drive toward better business outcomes.